Grilled Citrus Shrimp

~ Get 'em While They're Hot ~

Yay for Summer!  It really feels like we're in the swing of it, and that means chillin' and grillin' on the patio.  Excited to dine on the new-old patio furniture I scored on Craigslist this past weekend, we grilled a favorite from last summer: Grilled Citrus Shrimp.  Is it just me or is "citrus shrimp" a tongue-twister?  If I say it too fast, I end up making whistling sshhh sounds.  You're trying it now, too, aren't you?


Anyway... We instantly knew this recipe was a Keeper last year when I made it as an appetizer for a small gathering at the house.  HotDog pulled the shrimp off the grill and served it as I finished up the main course in the kitchen.  Not but a few minutes later, I journeyed the three whole steps from our kitchen to the dining room to discover plates scattered with tails.  The moment was bittersweet:  delighted my new easy-peasy recipe was such a hit, dismayed that I didn't get to devour more than two myself.  Ah, the hostess...

Lesson learned.  These shrimp graduated to entree.

Grilled Citrus Shrimp
48 raw medium/large shrimp, peeled and deveined
3/4 cup olive oil
juice of 1 lime, fresh-squeezed
juice of 1 lemon, fresh-squeezed
3 Tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce, optional
bunch of cilantro (or other fresh herb of your choice - tarragon or rosemary maybe?)


My brother, Scooter, taught me a neat-o trick to get all the meat out of the shrimp tails.  Not only does this get me every last delectable morsel when I eat cooked shrimp, I also employ this sly method while prepping raw shrimp for a recipe.  All it takes is a pinch of the shrimp where the tail meets the last bit of meat, then pull apart.  Try this trick when you are peeling your thawed shrimp.  Magical AND practical!

In a medium-size bowl, combine olive oil, lime juice, lemon juice, and soy sauce.  Add shrimp and chop your cilantro.


You'll see the shrimp start to turn whitish as the acid from the lemon and lime starts to cold-cook it.  Add the cilantro and stir your soup-like concoction.  Refrigerate and marinate for up to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.


Preheat the grill to medium/high heat.  Skewer those bad boys.  I used eight skewers, six shrimp each.  You just can't know how ecstatic I was to find square skewers after fighting (and eventually double-skewering) twirling, contrary shrimp last year.


Grill about 3-4 minutes each side or just until pink and opaque.  Be careful not to cook them too long or they will get tough.  Shrimp can be tricky that way.


Get 'em while they're hot; they won't last long enough to go cold.

Serves 1-8, depending on the degree of shrimp lovers.

Enjoy!
Kimmers

Comments